Saturday, January 29, 2011

An interview with Orwell's character Julia from 1984

This is an idea I had recently. It's by no means finished but I want to share it, it needs to breathe a bit. For those who don't understand this Julia is the second major character in George Orwell's epic novel 1984. I have constructed an interview with her, years after Winston [the main character] has been purged. Any thoughts or utterances would be greatly appreciated. For fans of the book, who do you think Julia is? What does she represent to you?

Many years ago Julia was held captive by hostile government that mocked her repugnant need for freedom. She was abused. She was beaten and she confronted the fears that shocked her to the core. The government intervention cured her of her disobedience and left her almost sppechless for a decades. Now after decades of silence about her forbidden love affair with fellow rebel Winston Smith, and terrifying interrogation by a man who she believed was a fellow rebel Julia tells us what really happened.

Do you know what happened to Winston?
The last time I saw Winston was at the Chestnut cafe sipping clove spirits. I was numb and shocked. Sort of what is left after a wittler has done his handy work. I told him I had betrayed him. He told me he had betrayed me. It was a simple way to stop the torment. It was the only way we could. But we were put the test and we failed. Our convictions were useless in the face of such brutal, mechanical control. I haven't seen him since that day. I haven't even been to his grave, not even sure if he has one. I can't say anything to him. Even his name is enough to undermine how much I've accomplished in the last few years. I miss him. We were perfect in a way. It was absurd but we both wanted to the same thing.

What was it that you wanted?
I think we wanted freedom but in different ways. Everybody goes on about political freedom and the right to vote. Those things are really important but the fundamentals have to be in place. You have to have decent, nourshing food. You have to be able to sing whatever song you want to sing and dance if you feel like dancing. On Airstrip One you couldn't do any of those things. Dancing, love, lusciousness in life were never extended to us. I wanted the freedom to wear make up. To write a journal. To be able to access the information so that I could make up my own mind. I was sick of someone else deciding what I believed.

When did this rebellion first start?
It started before I met Winston. I was always very aware I was different from the other party members so I tried to be like them but in overdrive. I joined the Chastity league and draped virginity sashes across my already pleasured body. I was a hypocrite but I did it to survive. Before I met Winston I was involved with a beautiful street vendor who sold all of the Victory products. I used to buy gin from him. The party hated us fraternizing with the proles so I had to be very careful. But we had sex whenever we could. The party hated sex. Sex was the ultimate escape and they didn't want anyone escaping. It also makes you intimate with someone, you care about them and sometimes love them. In Airstrip One you can't love anyone but Big Brother. Ecstasy doesn't exist.

Is that about control?
Absolutely. Sex is always about control even before the state gets involved. It's funny because sex never accepted in it's original state. In London it was controlled and used only for procreating. I know that in Eurasia it was encouraged to keep the people... distracted. Both are so extreme.

Did you agree with the book Oligarchical collectivism?

Winston use to talk about that but I never was really interested. I thought the idea about perpetual war for perpetual peace was quite important to the regime. We were always at war, there were always the outsiders, the foreigners. You could get the entire country to despise one group of people and not concentrate on what our government, our people were doing. As soon as you have war you have blinded patriotism. It becomes taboo to utter a single qualm. You can't say anything or your a traitor. And to be a traitor was the ultimate insult and in Airstrip One you would end up dead for it.

What are you doing now?
...........

1 comment:

  1. I really like this! I've recently re-read 1984 and I think I gain something every time I read it.

    Don't know if you're looking for any critiques, but in order to keep this piece canon, I'd capitalise Party (as they do in the novel) and maybe refer to the Junior Anti-Sex League in full rather than just Chastity league...but that's just me being perhaps nitpicky :D

    -Bec

    ReplyDelete